Learning how to use Siri Personal Assistant for the first time? In this article, I detail how to turn on the Siri App, how to change the Siri Voice (Siri gender), and how to change the Siri language. If you already have the Siri App enabled and set up, check out our massive full list of Siri Commands.
How to Turn on Siri
1. Tap the “Settings” icon (you can often find it on your home screen) to access your device settings.
2. Tap “General” on the left side of the “Settings” application.
3. Location and tap “Siri” on the right part of the screen.
4. Slide the button next to “Siri” from the “off” position to the “on” position. Siri is now enabled!
5. Make sure you have an active Internet connection. Access to the internet is required in order to use Siri.
How to Change Siri Siri Gender
On the “Siri” settings screen above, tap “Voice Gender”. As of this writing, there are only two options (a male’s voice and a female’s voice). I would love for Apple to add a robot’s voice or celebrity voices. The female voice is selected by default.
How to Change Siri Language
On the “Siri” settings screen above, tap “Language”. As of this writing, you have the following languages and locales to pick from:
- English: United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia
- Spanish: United States, Mexico, Spain
- French: France, Canada, Switzerland
- Mandarin: China, Taiwan
- Cantonese: Hong Kong
- German: Germany, Switzerland
- Italian: Italy, Switzerland
- Japanese: Japan
- Korean: South Korea
How to Access the Siri App
Once the Siri App is enable, you can start issuing commands by holding the Home Button. If you have a compatible headset (or Bluetooth device), you may be able to launch Siri by pressing the Phone button. You can also launch the Siri App by simply holding the phone up to your ear.
Useful Siri Commands
Check out our Siri Commands page to see a comprehensive list of funny, cool, and useful Siri Commands for iOS7. If you have questions about the Siri App, or if you have commands that should be added to the commands page, please chat with us in the comments section.