Suffering from the PS4 Blue Light of Death?
I suspect many people reading this are just opening up their PS4 Christmas gift, and are finding that their system is experiencing the PS4 BLOD. My friend encountered the blue light special and it appears that I have fixed it. The fix doesn’t require checking or swapping cables. The fix doesn’t require doing anything with the hard drive. I was basically able to fix the PS4 Blue Light of Death in a couple minutes.
This solution doesn’t help everyone. I suspect it only resolves a specific BLOD issue, not all of them. In my opinion, the fix is worth a try as long as you heed the warnings. Check out the solution after the break.
PS4 Blue Light of Death Fix
Below are the steps I took to solve the PS4 Blue Light of Death:
WARNING: My fix includes the step of connecting the HDMI cable while the TV and the PS4 are on. This may cause damage the TV or PS4. Follow these instructions at your own risk!!! Safer, but untested alternative methods are below as well.
- Power off your PS4 by pressing the power button until the PS4 powers off. You know the PS4 is off when the light is off. Be certain the PS4 is off before you continue.
- Unplug all of the cables from the PS4. This includes the power cable, HDMI cable, USB cable, optical cable, etc.
- Plug in the power cable and no other cable. That’s right, do not plug in the HDMI cable yet.
- Press the power button until the PS4 beeps twice. It will beep, then beep again in a few seconds. A few seconds later, the blue light will turn white! If it does not, this Ps$ Blue Light of Death fix will not work for you.
- Next, I plugged in the HDMI cable while the PS4 was displaying the white light and the TV was on. WARNING: Connecting the HDMI port while the TV or the PS4 is on may cause damage to the TV or PS4. Follow these instructions at your own risk!!!!
- An alternative method would be to first turn off the PS4 and turn off an unplug the TV. Connect the HDMI cable to the PS4 and the TV, Power on the PS4 by holding the power button until it beeps twice, see the white light, THEN plug in and turn on the TV.
- A third option would be to select a different source on your TV, see the white light on the PS4, then select the appropriate HDMI source on the TV. Please note that I have not tested any of these alternative methods as I do not currently have a BLOD PS4 near by.
- Make sure you select the corresponding HDMI input on your TV. You should then see on the screen a prompt to plug in the USB cable and Dual Shock controller. Please do so. You will now be in PS4 Safe Mode.
- On the safe mode screen, select 2. Change Resolution. Then click ok. The PS4 will then restart.
- At this point, you should reach the PS4 Setup. If not, repeat the steps above and try 6. Initialize PS4.
- If you still don’t reach the PS4 Setup, I was not able to fix your PS4 Blue Light of Death. Contact Sony for a replacement.
- If you do reach the PS4 Setup, follow all the steps. Be certain to update the system software to at least 1.51. After 1.51 is installed, test shutting down and turning on the PS4 to ensure that the BLoD has been fixed.
- If you are still getting the BLOD, here’s the next thing for you to try.
Did my PS4 Blue Light of Death Fix Work for You?
If my PS4 BLoD fix worked for you, let me know! Post a comment below. Also, please share this article with anyone that may be experiencing this issue.
If the fix did not work, here’s the next thing for you to try.
See what the PS4 Blue Light of Death looks like in the video below. Once a few people confirmed the fix, I’ll attempt to locate a BLOD PS4 and shoot a video of the fix.